Friday, March 14, 2014

DAY 17 - PHERRAI



17) THURSDAY, 14 JULY 1977 : 263KMS. - PHERRAI
 
Leaving IRAKLITSA in the morning, we drove along the way to KAVALA, XANTHE, and KOMOTINI.  There were tobacco plantations on both sides.


Tobacco - Photo : Bing images search

We saw tobacco leaves hanging on line for drying under big trees in house areas all along the roadsides. In the forecourt there were family members selecting and hanging tobacco leaves for drying.  There were army barracks now and then as we were moving near the Greece – Turkey border.  Their relation as neighbours are not so fine because of a dispute over the territory of Cyprus.


Sun-drying tobacco leaves - Photo :  Bing images search

In ALEXANDROUPOLIS, I asked Tilo to stopped on the way to buy watermelon and peaches (26 peaches for 50.- Drachmen).  When I left Germany, I intended to eat as many peaches as I can before leaving Europe as I love this fruit and it is certain that I will have less chance to taste  it so often again when I am back home. 

Photo : lainbloom.blogspot / Bing images search

I saw a Greek vase, painted in red and black with ancient Greek design for a souvenir but it didn’t look so fine as I expected.


Photo : Bing images search

From ALEXANDROUPOLIS, we continued to PHERRAI, where we stopped to camp overnight   near old Byzantine church (900 years old).

Byzantine church in PHERAI -  Photo : studistaralexpoli / Bing images search

Before  PHERRAI, I saw a few buffaloes lying near the road. They looked like those water buffaloes in Thailand but having lighter skin color.



No comments:

Post a Comment