Friday, July 25, 2014

DAY 151 - KATHMANDU



151) FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER 1977 : 0KMS. - KATHMANDU
 


Today, many people came to the temple along with their incense-sticks, candles as well as many articles and  food containers  (full of food). I understood that they came to make merit in offering food to the monks at the temple. I walked up to see the ritual ceremony, similar to ritual sacrifice, a non-Buddhist ritual but rather Buddhist mixed with Hindu or Brahmin. A ceremony conductor chanted while moving his hands in various forms and movements.  I  tried to interpret hand signals but I could not understand at all.


 
Oil candles, Swayambhunath - Photo : viajar-a.net / Bing images search


There were tiny oil lamps, in which cotton wicks were dipped in oil and lit up, being  placed in rows. I saw rice bowls filled with rice grains for scattering as well as  offering to the monks.  I did not see people offering ready meals to the monks like in Thailand (it might be done inside the building but I could not see as I did not enter inside).  Casting the Vajara  scepter, bell ringing and scattering of flowers around the ceremony seats were performed during the ceremony. What I have seen today should be the ritual practices of Watcharayan sect of  Buddhism (of Nepal and Tibet), worshiping  the Buddha  as a god  with a focus on individual rather than his preaching.

 








No comments:

Post a Comment